My Photo
Name:
Location: Kolan, Croatia

ZenMasterMiki living koans.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Piraeus

Finally I found time to visit Piraeus, the most important harbour of Greece. It is even today separate from Athens city, although practically forms one city, with all the surrounding municipalities of Athens. See http://www.athensguide.org/piraeus.html

My previous visit was in weekend, during the market day, what was not the best idea, as it was ...rather disgusting experience. Not a colorful almost-asian market, but some dirty, shapeless afro-balcan-gipsy smelly bazaar. What I expected of Piraeus was some spirit of old Levantine times, preserved from the times when this mediterranean culture was flourishing in Alexandria, harbours of Middle East, Greek part of Turkey and southern Italy. What I found was...not so enchanting. Only some almost-ruined buildings witnessed that period, the rest disappeared.

On the other hand, this means that the place is alive, not some museum.

Arriving to Faliro station by metro line to Piraeus shows you at once that Athens hosted the Olympics recently.
pir1

Accross the road is the second one:
pir2

Also the station itself is quite interesting architectonically:
pir3

The bridge accross the highway was here with interesting background, I love this kind of buildings in Athens, as seen here in the hill. It gives it some...desert-like quality. Probably effect of white color and blinding sun-light.
pir4

Going towards Mikrolimano harbour is this water-chanel from Delfinarium-notice the buildings on the walls-these are the walls of ancient Piraeus!
pir5

Sure, today they are made stronger with concrete:
pir6

Harbour of Mikrolimano, from Turkish times. Today more place for small restaurants and pleasant apartments.
pir7

pir8

But in the main street it is still visible this was fishermen's village not so long time ago. This reminds me to Simuni on Pag!
pir9

Such vies are what you would expect in the place with such a mixed history.
pir10

This kind of beauties I went to search here! I love such old buildings, in their proper place.
pir11

As I said, this reminds me on Pag sometimes...
pir12

I found serbian king's street there:
pir13

This building followed the fate of the king...
pir14

As I said, I like these old building in their original postings...
pir15

Going further towards Port Zea (Pashalimano) is quite surprisingly plesant beach (but probably only out of season, later I would expect BIG crowd here!):
pir16

View from the other side of the beach is quite inspirative. Should be tried with beautiful girl with almond-eyes... ;-)
pir17

Pasalimano (Port Zea today) is just newly built facilites for the smaller boats...it was Pasha's harbour in Ottoman times. I expected more of this place.
pir18

But this is as I think oldfashioned way...pashas are still here-see the yachts...!
pir19

Filigran of Ottomans is present ...although not so exposed.
pir20

And this says to me some people here still have the spirit of Levant!
pir21

Emperess is still present...at least in the name of fishermen's boat!
pir22

Sure, history you discover here depends on...how dep you dig.
pir23

Entering Piraeus you can not be sure what is building and what some BIG ship. This one was really a ship, although I already thought it is some clever architect's idea...
pir24

Kafeneio...people here spend lots of time sipping some Greek coffee or so
pir25

And again my favorite topic
pir26

It may seem a bit strange to enjoy view of rottening old houses...but they were as this 100 years ago, I expect.
pir27

pir28

pir29

pir30

Yes, they are really remnants of the old times, and will soon disappear or be incorporated in some new glass-concrete structures.
pir31

Here I bought Cretan cheese, quite good one! Shop (in the very corner of the building) attracted me by its...khm...khm...ancient look.
pir32

9.5 eur/kg of sheep cheese which resembles Pag cheese (but young one, not after few months)
pir33

Shadow is needed...and protection of rain (however rare here!), this one gives scent of what it was like some 100 years ago.
pir34

pir39

There is more churches in Piraeus, but church of Ag.Triados (St.Trinity) is orientation point for the sailors approaching the harbour.
pir35

It is amazing to see these ruins here-but they will fast be replaced by something new, activity is great here.
pir36

Usual market street, this guy seems to sell everything of paper...original Holy Bible also could be found, if U look better!
pir37

Greek coffee is NOT turkish coffee - at least since 1974 (Turkish invasion on Cyprus). I must say I am deeply dissapointed with the coffee here. Any turkish coffee from former yugoslavia region is MUCH better. Also, it is not easy to find some good coffee in shops, this powder which U can find for 9eur/kg is NOT what you'd expect, it is mild burnt BAD quality coffee. Better find some place where U can find some darker variant. I am not saying you can not find good coffee, but it is not easy. Greeks themselves prefer nescaffe! O tempora, o mores! If U go out, try "Illy" espresso (thanks PP for the tip!).
pir38

Rembetika locals...music and dances. Here it could be possible to find genuine ones, I think. I did not try yet, mea Culpa, mea maxima Culpa.
pir40

"Apotiki" below is kiosk in Greek way..."we sell everything"!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh so nice to see peiraeus... its like my 2nd home now... interesting blog!

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miki, I must take a day or two off to study your photographs, there are so many... y. Marijan

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home